Absinthe II

If you look, loyal reader, at the archives to the right, or below to the post called "Absinthe," you'll discover that I've included a descrpiption of how we consumed the drink. It had to do with flames and a big spoon and a sugar cube. There are pictures.

I'd never consumed the stuff, and had little knowledge of it, but an anonymous commenter took issue with the method that we employed, apparently concerned that we were trying to get high from the hallucinogenic properties of the constituent herb, wormwood. I had indeed heard the rumor that the stuff had more than just the normal alcoholic effects, but hallucinations were not the intended result. I can't speak for the others, but I did it out of a sense of irreverance. The stuff is illegal after all, and if a trip had been what we were after, I wouldn't have been very satisfied.

Our commenter says that the burning of the sugar cube is an invention of the Czechs, and that all Czech absinthe is fake anyway. Thank you commenter. Now I'm really confused. The absinthe I was drinking was from a distillery in Germany, and the guys that brought it claimed with great certainty that the real stuff is from the Czech and other Eastern European countries.

Check for yourself with the Wormwood Society website.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arctic Trek III

Five Weeks Already?